More plant questions

May 24, 2006

Since it's worked before when my plants have perplexed me, I thought I'd host another Q&A, where I pose confused questions, and the gardening experts out in the blogosphere tell me how to fix my problems. :-)

I bought a hyacinth a few months ago on a whim, and it looked very pretty on the window sill for quite a while. By last weekend, though, the leaves were shedding and it was looking pretty dead, so I decided to reclaim the pot. I was completely tickled to find out that the bulbs had been actively spreading:



Instead of the five bulbs that I expected, each large bulb has 3-5 little offspring! Very cool. The only problem is that I don't know what to do with it now. There's a pretty serious root structure, so I just put the whole thing in a short vase of water for the moment.



I don't have any yard to play in, so I can't just plant it out back, and my pots and sunny spots are at a premium, so I'm not going to use one on a non-blooming thing, even if it's cool. If I cut off the roots and put it in a dark, cool cupboard, could I replant it next winter and have it rebloom? Should I gift it to someone with a yard? Perform a random drive-by planting? I'm at a loss.

Question two continues the bulb theme. I was picking out an onion for dinner from the bowl on the counter when I came across this confused specimen:



I really enjoyed planting the garlic that sprouted a few months ago. Does anyone know if planting an onion would have a similar effect? And do you know what it will produce? Just a stalk? Oniony flowers? Baby onions? This guy has quite the lust for life, so it seems like planting might be in order, but I don't really know what it would entail. Thoughts?

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home