Day of.

June 02, 2007

My vows, learned by heart:

In the name of God, I, Susan, take you, Kevin, to be my husband
To have and to hold from this day forward
for better, for worse
for richer, for poorer
in sickness and in health
to love and to cherish until we are parted by death.
This is my solemn vow.

And, when exchanging rings:
Kevin, I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow,
and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honour you,
in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit.

Many people thought that we wrote our vows, since we said them without prompting. I wish I was that eloquent. Hopefully someday? It's straight from the Book of Common Prayer. And I love the rest of the service, shown here. There's so much hope and happiness in it, but also so much reality: we should comfort each other, lend strength, realize that relationships require tending, and know when to stand down. It's nice to know that our vows and the prayers weren't cliche -- I genuinely hope that we can live up to them -- they articulate what I want from my marriage better than I could have myself.

Our organist provided lots of needed guidance for the music.

As people arrived, he played the "St. Anthony Chorale" by Haydn/Brahms, "Trumpet Tune" by Purcell, "Rigaudon" by Campra, amd Pachelbel's "Canon in D".

I can't tell how happy/emotional it made me to walk up to the stairs to the church and hear the Pachelbel canon playing... It's

The wedding party (grandparents, parents, and bridesmaids) came in to the "Te Deum Processional" by Charpentier. Kevin's maternal grandmother was walked in by one of her grandchildren (Steven), his paternal grandmother was walked in by her grandson Chris (not in the wedding party, but in his marine dress uniform), my maternal grandparents walked together, and my brother (and groomsman) Dave walked my mother down the aisle.

My father and I walked to Purcell's "Trumpet Voluntary".

After the ceremony, we walked out to Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" -- usually one to make me cry regardless, but the organist led in with minor chords and it just seemed right.

He concluded with Handel's Hornpipe. Or at least, I assume he did? We walked out of the church after processing up the aisle, and so I'm really not sure. :-) One of those little wedding mysteries. :-)

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home