Roses!

July 09, 2008

The roses in the backyard are blooming!




Here's a close-up of the yellow one:



And the red one:



We also have large cream ones and tiny pink ones.

I'm of two minds on the whole thing. The first is sort of a "yay, blooming!" happy response – they really are pretty, and since they're in a corner of the yard that we can't see at all from the house I have no compunction about clipping blooms to bring indoors.

The section reaction is mild irritation – I can tell that the bushes are crying out for care from the way they're growing (very droopy, not like the proud straight bushes of the neighbour up the street), and I know that roses can be time intensive, and off all the things I'm willing to spend time tending roses don't really make the list. But if they're blooming this well without any prodding/help, maybe I should try to nurture them? If they weren't blooming so well, I'd just tear them out and plant dahlias and call it a day, but now I'm feeling torn. Does anyone want to convince me that the work is minimal?

Labels:

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home