When the cat's away, the mice further deconstruct the bathroom

October 27, 2008

Kevin's in LA all week for PDC (Professional Developers Conference), and about five minues after he got on the airport shuttle, I was full of project plans for the house. I write to-do lists constantly, and I've had "repair mbr, closet, BA walls" and "paint MBR, closet, bath" on every single list for at least eight months. I'm so ready to be done with those line items. The biggest problem, of course, is that we need to sleep somewhere else for two days while the room ventilates and the paint dries. So, when Kevin left I only needed to displace one sleeper, and the renovation plan was set for the week! (I should note: Kevin totally approves of this work, it's just that neither of us have started it yet.)

Of course, once I started with the joint compount, I found many other places to use it. The major one is the main bath, and while repairing the known wall damage is great, I was holding my breath about what we'd find under the big mirror. We were pretty lucky – four 1" wide holes, plus the holes from the wall anchors that held up the mirror, so all well within the realm of my new-found joint compounding skills.



I unscrewed the two wood backsplashes for the vanity, but they won't budge, so that will be a task for Kevin and his crowbar.

The thing of joint compound we had in the garage is amusing. The stuff is Barbie Pink (it dries to white – useful), and so slathering it on the walls doesn't really feel like a legit DIY project.




I'm finding that I like joint compounding WAY more than painting – it's fast, satisfying, and the cleanup is instantaneous. MUCH better than the priming/painting nonsense! Too bad that the whole edging/rollers stage is next in the process!!

For the next few days, the major potential blocking issues is figuring out how to move our bed (by myself??) in time for painting... hmmm?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home