Out of my league

February 26, 2005

Many people have told me that this is a particularly sunny, dry winter for seattle. I know that's supposed to seem like a good thing, but I'm finding that I really miss the seasons. In the last week, I've started to see these everywhere:



I don't know what they're called, but they grow in my backyard in Weston, and I used to pick them and put them in a little basket for my mom for Mother's Day. To have these May flowers blooming in February, in a year with no snow, seems very odd to me. I saw the first crocuses three weeks ago. And these flowering trees at work kind of annoy me:



I'm not trying to be curmudgeonly about the weather (and really, who has the right to complain about 60s and sunny?), but it's almost as if I still have the weather calendar from second grade stuck in my head, where March is windy (illustrated by a cloud blowing), April showers bring May flowers, etc. and the winters are icy and snowy. It's nice to have it be so beautiful, but it feels like we didn't do any work to get here... I kind of prefer New England where you'd still have two months of potential snow and a full month of thaw, but by the time it gets there it's exciting to see the nice weather. The most I've had to do is scrape the iced-over dew off my car in the morning... it isn't really the same.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home